Friday, December 16, 2011

Burritos for days!

I love burritos. Who doesn't love burritos? No one, that's who. It slightly pains me, though, when I see/hear/read someone say something along the lines of I decided to make a burrito at home to save money, so I opened a can of beans, microwaved them, added some salsa, cheese, lettuce, and sour cream, and it was cheap, but it didn't taste like the ones I get from a restaurant. Of course it didn't, you didn't do anything to it. Seasonings, people, seasonings!

Last night, in the throes of starvation, I decided that I would make a big batch of burrito filling today. Once done, I just have to portion out the amount I want, heat it, then eat it!

First I soaked some pinto beans.

Then I cooked them. Tough stuff, I know.


Once they were done, I drained them, reserving a little of the cooking liquid. I smashed the beans with a large spoon, too. Heated some oil in the saucepan, added the beans back in, along with the bean water (yum, lol), cumin, and salsa. Simmer a bit, and ta da! Refried beans.

Then I chopped half of a green bell pepper and half of a white onion.

This went into the saucepan to cook with brown rice.

There really is rice in there, I swear to you. See?

Then I made a batch of "queso."

Mmmmmm. Then I boiled some lentils.

While those were cooking, I sauteed the other halves of the bell pepper and onion.

The lentils serve as the "meat" in all this. Soy crumbles would work, too, but lentils are cheap and healthy. I'd like to tell you I make my own taco seasoning mix, but I don't.

Casa Fiesta! When the lentils were done, I added them to the veggies, added the taco mix and water, and about a tablespoon of salsa.

I mixed everything together in a huge bowl, then stood back to admire the beautiful... err...

Well, it tastes good anyway. Finally, it was time to assemble a burrito.

After all the work I'd done I couldn't be bothered to shred some lettuce. A whole leaf worked just fine. And I topped it with some taco sauce. Vegan sour cream would've been a nice addition, but it's kind of expensive. Maybe next time.

I was so hungry, I decided to make two.

Yeah, my burrito rolling skills leave something to be desired. Whatever, I devoured those two in record time. Five minutes later, I realized that eating two burritos was a horrible idea. Delicious, but my god, I thought I was going to explode.

So with all that filling, I'll be making burritos (one at a time) and living off of them for days. Burritos for days!

Bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment