Monday, December 19, 2011

A short holiday excursion

We were all supposed to venture downtown to see the Christmas tree in Pioneer Square, but everyone bailed on me! At first I said I wasn't going either, but then I thought Eff this, it's almost Christmas and I may not get another chance to do this, so I slapped some makeup on my face, pulled on my coat and gloves, zipped up my boots, and headed out! Who cares if I go out alone? I'm a seasoned veteran patron of public transportation, damn it!

This was my second trip ever.

My bus came at 5:25 pm, and we arrived at 6th & Yamhill at 5:38 pm. The driver hauled ass! He didn't give any of us a chance to get to a seat, he just floored it as soon as the doors closed. One guy didn't even get a chance to pay his fare before the momentum of the bus threw him back into a seat. He had to drag himself back up to the farebox. I did my best not to laugh. So we got there, thanked the driver (we do that here) and I had my Starbucks coffee in my hand by 5:45 pm. Hells yeah! I sat on a bench and snapped a few photos, then got restless and started walking.

Eventually I found myself in Pioneer Place. It was so festive in there, I had to take some pics.






Can you see the snow in that last picture? There's a machine on the 3rd level that shoots out foam snow at 6:00 pm. I just happened to be there at the right moment.

Then I went back outside and wandered some more. I got a shot of Pioneer Courthouse from 5th Ave.


I made my way back to Pioneer Square, had a seat, and got a great shot of the tree. Behold!


So pretty! This is the first year they've used multi-colored LED lights, and it looks fantastic. Great atmosphere, too. People were just hanging out. It was nice.

Even the little fountain bears were dressed up.


When I'd had enough, I walked to the closest bus stop and waited with a group of people. When the bus came for us it was already packed, but we managed to squeeze in. I ended up sitting next to a really cute guy, but I didn't think it would be appropriate to take his picture. Oh well. This bus driver was really nice, and a believer in speed limits, so it was an enjoyable ride home.

It would've been nice if everyone else could've come along, but I'm glad I went anyway. Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment